A welcome message from the Chair of Governors
I am the Chair of Governors at Swalwell Primary School and would like to welcome you to our website. I hope it provides you with all the information you need – if you cannot find what you are looking for please do not hesitate to contact us.
We want our website to be a gateway for communication between the school, parents and the wider community. If you have any suggestions for improving the website and/or the information provided we would be very happy to hear them!
I do hope it is evident from our website that Swalwell Primary School is a safe, caring and truly inclusive environment where every single pupil counts and contributes. We strive to make sure that our children are happy, involved and fully engaged in their learning and progress. We also have a great deal of outdoor space and learning resources which provide an added element of fun!
Our mission is to ensure that every child is provided with the skills they need to flourish both at school and in life beyond education. Those skills includeresilience, compassion, communication and independence. To achieve that mission we follow a rich, varied and vigorous curriculum to engage and challenge pupils, delivered by teachers who endeavour to be outstanding at all times – every lesson counts!
Thank you for visiting our website. We want Swalwell Primary School to continue to be a central and constructive part of the community so please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Chair of Governors, Swalwell Primary School
Governor Membership and Committees
Register of Pecuniary Interests
Chair of Governors / Community Governor
What Governors do…
• determine the aims and overall conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement;
• be a critical friend of the Head Teacher;
• set and review staffing levels and structures;
• appoint Head Teachers and Deputy Head Teachers;
• set and agree school budgets;
• Ensure policies are set and adhered to;
• Monitor Health and Safety and management of the premises.
• works closely with the head teacher and senior management team to set the direction for the school;
• determines the aims and overall conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational attainment;
• conducts most of its business through meetings, making use of relevant papers and guidance, training, and advice from the head teacher;
• has a range of duties including;
• setting targets for pupils achievement
• managing the schools finances and setting the school budget
• ensuring a broad and balanced curriculum is delivered
• developing school policies.
• appointing staff and specifically the head teacher, undertaking performance management and reviewing pay.
Parent governors are elected by parents for a term of four years. At the end of that time the position will be advertised through school and parents asked to apply, with a vote of parents if there are too many candidates for the positions available.
Co-opted/ community Governor /associate Governor
Generally, when a position becomes vacant, the governors look for a person from the community who has the expertise, experience or qualities needed to help with the work of the body.
If you are interested please contact the school.
The Governors of Swalwell Primary School are keen to hear from parents, carers, guardians and the wider community. Any suggestions, comments or ideas would be very much appreciated. To make it as easy as possible to contact Governors there is now a dedicated email...
Declaration of Interests july 15
Swalwell Governing Body- Membership as of May 2015 Lucy Gray- Chair of Governors George Wake- Community Governor Jeannie Kielty- Community Governor Malcolm Brown- Parent Governor Chris Hume- Community Governor Peter Hampson- Staff Governor Rebecca Waugh- Staff...