Keeping healthy in school
How do we encourage your children to be healthy? We thought you’d be interested to hear some of the ways in which we promote a healthy lifestyle at Swalwell Primary School.
* Fruit is available to every child in Nursery to Year 6 every day.
* In addition to our normal PE lessons, we invite coaches into school to offer additional activities. Over the last year this has included street dance, multi skills and basketball.
* A free school meal is available to all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
* All children in the school took part in free taster sessions of Karate.
* Our fantastic free residential trip to Kingswood for Year 6 give the children the opportunity to take part in some challenging outdoor activities. We hope these experiences will give the children a life-long love of being outdoors in the fresh air.
* Year 5 children have weekly swimming lessons, building their strength as well as teaching them skills which could one day save their lives.
* Teachers offer after school clubs such as dance, football and gymnastics.
* We have an annual Sports Day with a mixture of fun and challenging events to which parents are invited.
* Swalwell Primary is very lucky to have such large playing fields. In Spring and Summer when the grass is dry, the children have plenty of room to play and explore at lunch times.