Swalwell Governing Body- Membership as of May 2015
Lucy Gray- Chair of Governors
George Wake- Community Governor
Jeannie Kielty- Community Governor
Malcolm Brown- Parent Governor
Chris Hume- Community Governor
Peter Hampson- Staff Governor
Rebecca Waugh- Staff Governor
Julie Lancastle-Smith- Headteacher
What governors do?
• determine the aims and overall conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement;
• be a critical friend of the Head Teacher;
• set and review staffing levels and structures;
• appoint Head Teachers and Deputy Head Teachers;
• set and agree school budgets;
• Ensure policies are set and adhered to;
• Monitor Health and Safety and management of the premises.
A Governing Body:
• works closely with the head teacher and senior management team to set the direction for the school;
• determines the aims and overall conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational attainment;
• conducts most of its business through meetings, making use of relevant papers and guidance, training, and advice from the head teacher;
• has a range of duties including;
• setting targets for pupils achievement
• managing the schools finances and setting the school budget
• ensuring a broad and balanced curriculum is delivered
• developing school policies.
• appointing staff and specifically the head teacher, undertaking performance management and reviewing pay.